Let’s take some of the key clothing artifacts which men use frequently so that we could establish the ideal manner in which each item should be cared for.
- A suit is a very expensive garment for a man and should be taken good care of. Always keep your suit hung on a good, broad wooden hanger.
- Always dry clean your suit.
- Always turn your suit inside out when drying. Especially wool or wool rich suits. Avoid exposing them to direct sunlight.
- Good suits need dry cleaning at least 2-3 times a year. However don’t do it too often or you might loose the shape and size of the garment.
- Always use a good brush with stiff bristles to clean your suit. It will remove moisture, dirt and stains.
- Always brush the shoulder and bottom side vent and brush it each time you wear it.
- Steam the suit before using it and get a professional person to do it.
- If ironing the suit, always use a piece of cloth on top of it, if not it will get spoiled.
- Avoid storing your suit in a plastic bag. It needs to breathe!!
- This is another important and often used garment. Its overused and neglected most often, especially the dress shirt (office wear).
- Shirts should be washed. Avoid dry cleaning.
- Avoid using very strong detergents as this can cause the colour to fade away.
- Machine wash your shirt if you don’t want to hand wash it. But for this you need to know the proper method of how to use a washing machine!
Ex – excess heat is bad for clothes and will cause it to shrink and fade away.
- Always wash your coloured shirts and white shirts separately.
- Always turn it inside out when drying and avoid exposure to direct sunlight.
- Always invest on a good iron to ensure the long standing quality of your garments.
- Always iron light/ fine fabric, inside out.
- Wool trousers need to be dry cleaned. (Poly wool and poly cotton).
- Turn inside our when drying and washing.
- Use a piece of cloth on the surface when ironing.
- Always hang your trouser after washing and ironing.
- Denim trousers can be folded and kept in a separate drawer.
- Hand wash is idea for polo T-shirts.
- Flat dry your T-shirt and avoid hanging it when drying. This will cause the garment to sag and loose its shape.
- Always place it on a shelf after drying.
- Always check the wash care label of the T-shirts.
- Avoid ironing printed T-shirts.
- Always dry clean ties, especially silk ones.
- Always hang or roll your tie. Never fold it!
Accessories - Vests/ Underwear/ Socks & Hankies
- Hand wash/ machine wash is ideal.
- Always flat fold these garments.
- Keep them in a separate drawer when storing.
- Formal shoes should only be leather. Polish and shine before you use it on any occasion.
- Use a good shoe polish.
- Avoid contact with water at all times! If you get them wet stuff them with newspaper when you get home and store them in that manner
- Never wear the same shoe two days in a row. Give them rest to avoid moisture build up. ...